Fall Cleaning

on Saturday, October 4, 2008

I have spent the past 48 hours cleaning the house. It has been a better experience than I would have imagined. Mandy said that it was like we were getting to know the house. We knew within 5 minutes of looking at the house that it was the one we wanted. Now we are going through the process of getting to know the house from top to bottom. Over the past hours I have looked in areas of this house for dirt and dust that I never knew existed.

As I have been cleaning, I have been thinking about a conversation I had with one of my mentors Rich Jones earlier this year. He was talking about the worlds most dangerous prayer.

It's found in Psalm 139

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

This is a prayer of vulnerability. It is inviting the God of the universe, that knows us more than we know ourselves to search us and to see into our hearts. It is asking God to point out those areas we may not even know exist It is asking God to bring us into the type of relationship with Him that would shine His light in the dark places of our souls. It is asking God to cleanse areas of our lives that we harbor sin. Its sounds like a few nice words, but when understanding what we are really praying. It is dangerous. However, it is the way of Jesus. The Way of the Truth and the Life. In the end it is the only way.

Today, I want God again to search me and know me, to test me and know my anxious thoughts. To see if there is any offensive way in me and to contunually lead me in the way everlasting.

0 comments: