Book Review: PRIMAL by Mark Batterson

on Monday, December 21, 2009


Over this past week, I had the privilege of reading PRIMAL by Mark Batterson. This book challenged me in ways that I can not describe. Mark brings the reader on a journey to rediscover the most incredible part of the Christian faith; the Great Commandment. The reader is challenged to gain a new perspective on Jesus's greatest commandment as they journey through the pages of this book. While reading through the pages of this book, Mark's insight brought me back to a place that I have not thought about in a long time.

I was 16 years old at a Senior High christian camp ground in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. There is a spot in the middle of the gymnasium at that campground that I will never forget. On times that I travel back to that place, I am filled with a flurry of emotions as I think back to what happened in that very spot. It was the place that I met with God. It was the place where God began to reveal his incredible plan for my life.

Mark's words resonated with me in a deep way. As he talked about the catacombs, I could not imagine the great lengths that some of the first believers went to in order to maintain a relationship with God. They were a true example of what it is to live in the great commandment. PRIMAL really sparked a fire that had been dwindling inside of me to explore all that God has for me and to realize the incredible story that I am apart of. It dates far back and there are many that God has used throughout the centuries. I believe that PRIMAL places the reader in a place where they can have a new perspective on what this Christian faith is really all about. I felt greatly encouraged to see a reformation in my heart and life as I rediscover the lost soul of Christianity. As Mark points out in the book, God's commission in Genesis was to explore this world. God has birthed in us a spirit of exploration and adventure. It is time to embrace Him and the life He has called us to!

I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking to take their relationship with God to a new level in 2010. Pick up a copy for yourself or a loved on by clicking here.



0 comments: